Skip to main content

A New Box of Crayons


As the calendar turns to August, the trees and grass and flowers have begun to look a little tired.  Advertising turns from summer fun equipment to Back-to-School sales.  Harried moms begin to look hopeful and kids are either excited or sad, depending on how they feel about school.  I was always one of the excited ones because I liked school.  I also loved summer vacation, but by August I was ready to return to a familiar routine.  I liked the new clothes and shoes that back to school time brought, but I was also excited to get new school supplies.  One of my favorite things was a new box of crayons.  I can still remember begging and pleading for the biggest box of crayons available.  When I opened my new box of crayons, all sorts of possibilities loomed------beautiful works of art (although I was never really blessed with artistic talent); graphs to color for math or science  projects; maps to mark with separate colors for each country in geography class.  The crayons were somehow symbolic of all there was to learn that year.

I recently opened a box of crayons as I was going through some items that were donated to my program.  I learned that the smell of those sticks of color can still send me back to that place of the promise of a good year ahead.  Will the child that gets those crayons be excited and hopeful and eager to learn?  Will he or she have people in his life to help him achieve those things?  Will the school year hold opportunities to create art and learn about our world?  As I sort through those donations, I pray the simple box of crayons will hold magic for that child as well.

I noticed something else as I studied that box of crayons.  All of them stood sharp and tall and neat, not caring who---or what color---was next to them.  White was next to pink, black and brown.  Blue was surrounded by a myriad of colors, as were all the rest.  They rest in the box in perfect harmony.  All the colors are necessary to make a beautiful picture, to create a map or scientific graph.  Humans could learn a lot of valuable lessons from a box of crayons.  We are all necessary to create the world we live in.  We may look different on the outside, but on the inside we are all the same.  When we learn to coexist peacefully in spite of our differences------when we appreciate the different things each of us bring to the big picture----when we learn each of us is equally important to the world we live in----we will be on our way to being as beautiful and harmonious as the box of crayons.  Opportunity and promise will lay in front of us as it did in the eyes of that schoolgirl in all those Augusts years ago.
Susie Kensil
Shelby County Domestic Violence Coordinator


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Mate

After spending several months on the back half of 2016 talking about abusive behaviors, we decided to take a different spin going into 2017.You see we spent a long time slowly working through and examining different forms and subtypes of abuse including the many forms of emotional abuse.This gave a very realistic look at some of the more “incognito” forms of violence that abusers get away with such as blaming, confusing behavior, corruption, destructive criticism, intimidation, isolation, manipulation, and even obsessive behavior.What we realized in closing out the year was that we had developed a very strong sense of what kind of traits and behaviors that we don’t want in our lives.On the flip side, we hadn’t really answered the question of what we do want in our lives.
It was a striking realization that while some victims of abuse started with a very pleasant life full of positive relationships, others have not been so fortunate.For those folks stuck in a life time of abusive relatio…

Letter from the Executive Director of Dove, Inc.: Coordinating efforts to address unmet needs and social injustices.

Dear Friends,
The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and spring rains have started to fall.This time of refreshing the world is a time for use to reflect and re-center and think about how we live in the world through faith.One of the best ways we can do this is to join our voices, talents and funds with others in support of the less fortunate.Dove works to coordinate our efforts to make sure that people in our area who are suffering have a place to go and people who care.Together our voices mean a great deal to a person in need.
We need you to also use your voice in service as an advocate for a resolution to the State Budget Impasse.Dove continues to feel the effects of the State’s failure to appropriate for domestic violence programming in the “Stop-gap” budget for FY17.In non-payment for contracts to Dove the State of Illinois is already nearing the quarter million-dollar mark as of March.Using your voice to put pressure on our State elected officials to resolve their disputes so…

Spring Cleaning?

During the dark, cold days of January----possibly inspired by the “clean slate” of a brand new year-----I undertook a major clean-up of my office.Evidently, when I started this job many years ago, I thought every piece of paper I received was sacred.I was rapidly running out of storage space, so I began the process of cleaning, sorting, shredding and tossing.As the job progressed, a few things became apparent.First, I was probably about one ream of paper away from a visit from the nice folks at the Hoarders TV show.I had a lot of moments asking………Why did I save that?.....How long has that law been obsolete?……Whatever were you thinking when you saved that???As I sorted, cleaned, tossed and carted off to the dumpster, I had an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and a new sense of organization.Coming to the office, opening a desk drawer or file drawer became a much more pleasant experience.
As I reflected on how cathartic this experience was and the benefits I continued to reap, it occu…