Friday, June 29, 2018
National Domestic Violence Counts Report
The 12th annual Domestic Violence Counts Report is in. On 9-13-17, 1,694 out of 1,873 (90%) identified domestic violence programs in the US participated in the National Census of DV Services. The following are some of the figures that represent the information provided by these 1,694 participating programs during this 24-hour period.
• 72,245 victims were served in one day
• 40,470 adult & child victims of DV found refuge in emergency shelters or transitional housing provided by local DV programs
• 31,775 adult & child victims received non-residential assistance and services that included counseling, legal advocacy and children’s support groups
• 20,352 hotline calls were answered (an average of 848 calls per hour or more than 14 calls per minute)
• In the past year, 531 of the programs surveyed (31%) laid off or left unfilled 1,077 staff positions nationwide. Most of these positions (62%) were direct service providers, such as shelter staff or legal advocates.
• On Census Day, 102 of the participating DV programs (6%) were impacted by, or still recovering from natural disasters, including wildfires, hurricanes, or flooding.
Have you ever had a victim of domestic violence try and open-up to you about their abuse and you not know what to say or how to handle it?...
Dove, Inc. newest program, Senior Companion Program is part of the Senior Corps and fits in nicely with what we do here at Dove and sup...
I know amid the COVID pandemic, many are finding it hard to be thankful this holiday season. Missing loved ones lost to this devastati...
Looking back to reflect on personal or communal history is guaranteed to bring up a gamut of memories and emotions. This look back rec...